Monday, June 3, 2013

Two years later

This is easily the biggest project I've ever made. 124'' x 124''. I started working on it sometime in the spring of 2011. By the time my annual pilgrimage to Oregon rolled around in the summer, I had it partially pieced together. I brought it with me, hoping to finish piecing it together while at my parents in Oregon, and quilt it in Utah at Paul's aunt's house (on our way back to Utah.) So I slaved away while on vacation, hurrying to finish it up before my return to Texas. And I did! I finished the top just in time. But as luck would have it, Paul's aunt wasn't going to be in town on the same dates I was, so I wouldn't be able to use her amazing industrial-sized machine quilter :( I was in a bind. There was no way I could quilt it on my tiny machine. I am very anti tying quilts with yarn...I think it's tacky. And I knew it would take me a decade to hand quilt it. So I bit the bullet and paid someone to quilt it for me. It was worth. And I love how it turned out. So ever since August of 2011, I have had a beautiful king-sized quilt tucked away in my closet - with everything done except the binding. Since we don't have a king-sized bed (on the wish list) I haven't been in a hurry to do the binding. Finally, 2 years later and suddenly needing a project, I finished it up. It is back in my closet, but at least I can check it off the 'to do' list.

1 comment:

Steven and Erika said...

Showed this to mom yesterday when she was here. Its Beautiful! Good job Melanie!