Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Muddy Arizona

Ever since I started blogging again, I am still perpetually behind. There is always more to write about with our little family, especially since I'm not very good at simplifying our lives. My triathlon training has consumed any free time I've had. Plus soccer 5 days a week and swimming twice a week. And we are still trying to cram all that New Mexico has to offer into this year in Albuquerque. And evenings have been spent working on licensing and credentialing for Paul. So hardly any free time these days.

But today, we finished school early, giving me a few minutes to try to find housing in Richmond, coordinate details with movers, organize pictures, and finally blog. So, without further ado, I write about our long weekend in Arizona.

Months ago, when we first moved to NM, I emailed my family saying that Paul, Mark C., and I would be doing the Tough Mudder in Arizona in March. I invited any who wanted to do it with us to come to Sharee's for a fun weekend. I was so happy when Laura signed up! As March approached, she told us she would also be bringing her youngest 4 kids along. When I told my kids, it was like Christmas morning all over again. So needless to say, this trip was much anticipated. 

The kids and I drove over on Wednesday afternoon. Paul was in LA, and flew into Phoenix the following morning. We spent Thursday doing a desert hike and simply being with the Castletons and my parents. That evening Laura and company arrived. Friday we mostly just enjoyed the day together, letting the kid cousins just play and party. Sharee's house has flood irrigation so they loved playing in the 'lake.'










Saturday morning, the four tough mudders, along with my parents, Paul C., and Sharee went to the race. It was fun to share the silly craziness with my sister. Paul got an awesome battle wound on electroshock therapy, and my knees gratefully gave me no trouble, despite not having run more than 4 miles in training. I think we all enjoyed it...Paul, Mark, and I already signed up for next year, and Laura is considering it ;)

























That afternoon was more just talking and relaxing. It was a perfect family reunion vacation. It was so nice to get together with some of my family, allowing for more intimidate interactions and conversations without all 34 grandkids and 15 adults running about. Paul and I thought that in the future, we might lean more toward smaller family get togethers, requiring less planning and stress. It really was just so pleasant and fun. 






1 comment:

Julie Barnes said...

I love all these pictures!! It looks so so fun! I will have to mark my calendar for the tough mudder next year!