Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dame Girls in Albuquerque

A few months ago, one of my sisters started to plan a sisters weekend. We hadn't done one in about 5 years, and we were well overdue. As we tried to pick a weekend between our 6 busy schedules, the one that worked best for everyone else was a weekend that Paul was on call (therefore, he couldn't be depended upon to watch the kids since he might have to go into work in the middle of the night). My sister suggested that maybe they all come to Albuquerque, so that it would be easier on Paul and I to work out child care. Plus, they figured, I am only living in ABQ for a year, so if they ever wanted to visit, now would be the time.

So, on Thursday the 8th, my sisters started flying in. My parents had driven over from Phoenix earlier in the week, and my dad was going to hold down the fort with my kids so Paul could work and Mom could be with the girls. That way, if the kids got too crazy for him, my mom or I could come over and help out. 
I found a little airbnb in Nob Hill, and it was perfect. We mostly talked all weekend, and in the evenings watched Lisa and Val do their stretches, which looked terribly uncomfortable at times. We also read the book We Were the Lucky Ones, and had a really great, and long, book discussion.
While at lunch at Crepe Michel in Old Town Albuquerque, I had been telling them how Paul's brother had introduced flavored oils and vinegars, particularly ones that you put on ice cream. They couldn't believe that I really put oil and vinegar on my ice cream, so I promised to stop by my house to pick some up. And then, while on our way to the car, we walked past an oil and vinegar store! We were able to taste a few and they all got excited to buy some fancy vinegars when they got home :)
We were so lucky to have sweet baby Emma with us on the trip! Keeley (my sister in law) has such an adorable little baby. I'm glad Keeley was willing to brave traveling with her so she could join us!
We road the Sandia Peak Tram to catch the sunset, great views, and hike around a bit. Sadly, my mom got the stomach flu (from my kids!) so she stayed home and rested all of the first day. I felt so terrible that we had passed it on to her! She would have loved the tram.







On Saturday, after lazing around all morning, we hiked up to some of the petroglphys near the city. It's always fun being with Val on hikes like this since she somehow remembers the geology she learned in college!

We had wonderful Mexican, Thai, French, and Indian food all weekend. I was sad to see them all go, and so grateful they were happy to come to New Mexico for a few days together. Hopefully it won't be 5 years before we an get together without our kids again!

No comments: