Sunday, March 18, 2018

October Homeschool Activities

The first week in October, our homeschool activity was hiking at Aspen Vista near Santa Fe to see the fall colors of the trees. I almost didn't go. It was a 90 minute drive away, I would have to carry a heavy Erik in the carrier, and I frankly wasn't in the mood. But my good husband reminded me that we would only be in Albuquerque for a year, and that I would probably regret not going. So we made the drive, and it was oh-so-worth it!


I LOVED being back in the mountains again, and seeing the colors reminded me of fall in Wisconsin.
Only Kasandra and Erin could come, and honestly it was nice to have a smaller group, and it gave me a chance to get to know them better, and for my kids to connect with their kids (since my girls usually just stick to playing with other girls).


I think we hiked for about 2 1/2 hours total and the kids only got grumpy toward the end.









They loved playing in the mountain stream more than anything else. I think we rested here for about 30 minutes while they climbed around the fallen logs and got their feet wet.











They also loved exploring the log tepees.






I'm so glad that I went, regardless of my mood the night before. It helped remind me to live each day to the fullest so that I can live with fewer regrets.
The following week was Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque, so for our fall book club, we read The Twenty-one Balloons  by William Pene du Bois, winner of the Newbery Medal in 1948. It was such a fun story! And in honor, the kids dressed up and created art representing something from the book. We also brought either Mexican or French food to share. And Michelle hosted, and she lives very close to the Balloon Fiesta grounds, so we had balloons flying overhead all morning! It was delightful!

Anna created mini balloons, one with a woven paper basket



Once Anders saw Anna's balloon creation, we had to make one for him too

Hattie spent hours drawing as many of the island restaurants as she could fit on her paper.

LOTS of yummy food!
Erin led a good discussion and let the kids each explain what they had created.
She also asked if they could remember all the restaurants from the Gourmet Government
And they always love the slack line at the Craig's house!
A week later, Erin's husband Erik taught a hands-on lesson on how a car engine works. He drew and explained the process on the white board first, then, with the help of a jogging stroller and some posters, he let the kids act as the intake valves, spark plugs, oxygen, gas, and exhaust valves so that they could see how it all worked together. I think they got it, but were still amazed that the 'mini-explosions' happen thousands of time every minute in an actual vehicle!


Gabby and June took over the white board after the explantion
And I mostly just stopped him from eating leaves and rocks.
And this kid of course lived in the sand box...some things never change!

1 comment:

Julie Barnes said...

AH! It is so gorgeous in Santa Fe when the colors change! This hike looks heavenly!!