Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Our recent adventures: Graduation

Once we returned to Lubbock from Virginia, we quickly packed up the rest of our house. We had slowly been packing over the last two months so that the task was a little less overwhelming. We barely squeezed all our belongings into the 28 foot UHaul, with the help of a local moving company. We could not have done it without them. Paul said, "I can't play Tetris like these guys - they are good!" Just a few hours after we loaded the truck, Paul took off for Dallas where he picked up his dad, and they headed north on the 20-hour drive to Wisconsin. In the meantime the kids and I hung out at our empty house. With only 10 toys to play with, and no furniture except our camping chairs and air mattresses, we tried to get out of the house every day for a bit, spending lots of time at the park and with our friends.

Lots of my friends have had babies recently...Here's Easton at 6 weeks, Niels at three months, and Tanner at 4 weeks. Yup, Niels looks like a monster in comparison.
Anna LOVED her camp chair. She even insisted on napping in it.
Of course the girls enjoyed playing everywhere that they usually weren't allowed.

After unloading our belongs in Milwaukee, Paul and his dad flew back to Texas just in time to attend his hooding ceremony on Saturday. This picture is just after he received his hood - the fabric that is draped around his neck and hanging down his back.
Three generations of Iversons
The girls were really excited for Dad, besides the fact that the ceremony lasted 2 hours. They keep calling him Daddy Doctor. And I can now officially refer them to him any time they whine and complain about something hurting them. I let him deal with all those complaints.

The kids all wanted a turn with Paul's graduation cap

Sunday was the commencement ceremony for the entire Health Sciences Center. So after watching Paul receive his diploma, we watched hundreds of nurses, pharmacists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, etc also receive their degrees. After 3+ hours, we were very glad we had taken the girls to friends house for the afternoon.
Gratefully Niels behaved quite well

On a totally different note, we have always driven past this church in Lubbock and were always amused by their sign. We are still trying to determine what church without religion would be like.
Then of course it was time to leave Lubbock. My friend Cassie threw a goodbye party for us, complete with lots of Blue Bell Ice Cream. I loved Lubbock so much - not because of the wind or the dust or the less-than-beautiful landscape - but I found so many friends there. I was always overwhelmed by people's willingness to love and accept everyone, to welcome each other into their circle of friends. I have never lived in such a friendly place. I was blessed to serve in a wonderful Young Women's presidency for the last two years, making even more friendships and being blessed in so many ways. I am so glad that Lubbock was our home for the last four years and I will truly miss being a Texan.
Me with Tammie Stoker

No comments: