Monday, August 16, 2010

White sock chick

When I was about 14, I got eczema. Mostly just on my hands but occasionally it flares up in other places. I've seen a number of doctors, researched different treatments, and tried almost everything to help keep it under control. And in general, I do. I wear gloves whenever I do the dishes or disinfect something. I rarely wash my hands (sorry if that's gross) and never use hand sanitizer. The only thing I could do to improve it would be to shower with gloves on (which I used to do regularly) and change diapers with gloves. Summary: I've learned to live with it and it's not too horrible.

But try to teach that to a three year old. Yup, poor little Hattie has eczema on her finger tips. Gratefully it doesn't itch too badly, but it'll crack and bleed. I put Aquaphor and Bag Balm on, but of course it gets wiped off almost immediately. So finally today we went to the doctor. He recommended this treatment:

Two of Paul's sock taped to her arms, with her hands lathered in Aquaphor and medication. We got her really excited about it, so she thinks it's fun instead of torture. When I was a kid, I tried sleeping with gloves on (and was nicknamed the White Glove Chick) and it was horrible. It actually made my hands worse because of the tightness of the gloves. So hopefully the socks are an improvement.

While there we did Anna's 12 month appointment: 75th percentile for weight, 25th percentile for height (I think her shortness makes her appear chubbier), and off the charts for head circumference. Awesome. Hattie is in the 87th for weight and 7th for height...another shorty. Looks like they'll take after me.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh what fond memories I have of you and the gloves during college. Though I am glad to have an eczema friend!

Laura Bernard said...

Poor little lady! But look at that classic cheesy grin! I love that girl! The boys colored some pictures for her the other day. . . another reason to mail you the disc I guess.

Cox Family said...

I'm sorry you have to deal with eczema too, it is not fun and is a constant thing we have to deal with too. Although on the fingertips is probably a lot harder to deal with than on legs and knees. Good luck!

Erin Curtis said...

Hattie is a doll with all those curls! I'm sorry to hear about the eczema ordeal, and it's only just begun. I had to let you know, though, that my little Whitney (turning 2 next week) has those SAME Tinkerbell jammies and LOVES them. I'm just surprised to see them on Hattie because I found Whitney's at a second hand store. How funny!

kd said...

Good work getting her exciting about being a white glove chick! Hope it does the trick and heals her little fingers. Yay for Anna crawling!!!!

Jamie said...

Oh man! I remember Eddie having horrible eczema, it was no fun. Good luck!