Thursday, December 8, 2011

Hot Air Balloon Festival

Ever since my first October in Lubbock, four years ago, I have wanted to go to the Hot Air Balloon festival in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Each year something came up that we never went. Since we'll be leaving Lubbock in May I knew this was my last chance to go. Paul was in Dallas, so my buddy Kristina and her two kids joined us.

When we arrived, it was raining and super cold, so the balloon events were cancelled. So we went to the mall to hang out. At the Disney Store, Anna found her niche...this girl loves Minnie Mouse.

The next morning we woke up around 5:00, drove to a park and ride location and took a bus to the balloon launch site. This is when the trip took a bad turn. It was ridiculously cold outside...about 37 degrees. And I, when packing in Lubbock, didn't think about how we would be outside in the morning BEFORE the sun came up. I only looked at the high for the day and didn't plan for the low. So my girls had on two long sleeve shirts and an Old Navy hats, no gloves, no coat. They were freezing. To add to that, the balloons were supposed to launch at 7:00...then we would have only had to endure the cold for an hour or so before they were done. But, due to some wind at higher altitudes, the launch was postponed til 9:00. By that point my kids were done. We sat snuggling around a gas heater while they just cried and whimpered about being so cold. I felt like a horrible mother.

Can you tell that Anna is freezing? 
 Eventually 9:00 rolled around. We were still cold but at least there was something to look at. In the distance you can see the first balloon launching.
 This cow was an obvious favorite.

 Hattie eventually started to enjoy herself.

 Anna started having fun when we passed out suckers.

 Despite the cold, we had a good time.
 And the kids favorite part was riding the bus...notice Anna is still working on her sucker.
 We went back to our hotel, exhausted, ate lunch and forced our kids to take a nap. Then they lounged in front of the TV for a while.
There was also an evening event, where they blow up all the balloons and they glow in the dark, followed by a fireworks show. Considering our morning experience, we weren't too keen on dragging our kids all the way back to the launch site in the cold weather. So, we parked close by, got a pizza, and had a picnic. That way we could see the balloons and watch the fireworks from the comfort (and warmth) of the van.

All in all, a good trip, but next time I promise to be more prepared!


Laura Bernard said...

Does Anna not have the best cheesy face smile ever? I love that girl's smile!

And I must admit, I'm having dejavu reading your post. Did you have another adventure where you ended up cold or missing out on something or weren't prepared? . . . I'm trying to remember. In my weird memory, you were with a friend, not Paul. Seems like it was too long ago to have been this October. I'm confused.

Glad you had fun and that they endured. 37 is cold when you don't have coats!

Michael said...

BA HAHAHAHA Anna frozen is hilarious!!! I could laugh at that picture for hours!!!